One common theme throughout all Palestinian emblems: a map “from the river to the sea”, which leaves no place for Israel. Just another confirmation that the conflict is not about territories or settlements, but about the existence of the Jewish state. As always, emblems are full of other symbolism: revolutionary flames, socialist red stars, Islamist swords, Kalashnikovs, hand grenades, etc.
- Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) – Created by the KGB in 1964 as a “liberation front” – in order to liberate “Falastin” from Jews when the West Bank was under Jordan and the Gaza Strip was under Egypt. The official representative of the Palestinian people.
- Fatah – As the main faction in the PLO/PA, this is Israel’s “peace partner”. Note AK-47s and grenades over the map of Israel. To be more convincing of their peaceful intentions, Fatah has an armed terrorist wing called Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades
- Hamas – Islamic resistance movement, a branch of the Muslim Brotherhood. The Islamists who drove their nationalist Fatah brothers from Gaza.
- Alliance of Palestinian National and Islamic Forces (PNIF)
- Palestinian Islamic Jihad
- Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP)
- Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine – General Command (PFLP-GC)
- Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP)
- Palestine Liberation Front (PLF)
- Popular Resistance Committees (PRC)
- Palestinian Popular Struggle Front (PPSF)
Let’s leave maps in Arab school textbooks for another time.